Kane, Michael

Michael Kane was born abt. 1847 in Ireland.  He was the son of Michael Kane, Sr.  He married Catherine Tynan on December 1, 1872 at the Cathedral of SS Peter & Paul in Philadelphia, PA.  On October 28, 1892, he died along with Catherine as they were both returning from a funeral in Darby, PA.  They were both buried from their home at 1913 Wood St., Philadelphia, PA and buried in Holy Cross Cemetery, Yeadon, PA Section 10, Range 10, Lot 20.

Their children were:

Michael J.


John F.


James Aloysius

PUBLIC LEDGER  Philadelphia, Saturday, October 29, 1892

     HUSBAND AND WIFE KILLED—SHOCKING ACCIDENT AT A DARBY GRADE CROSSING.  A Royal Blue line train strikes a carriage –  Michael Kane and Wife of Philadelphia the victims-The driver narrow Escape.

A carriage containing Michael Kane, aged 48 years, and his wife Kate, aged 40 years, 1913 Wood Street, was struck at Darby by the northbound Royal Blue train on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, due in this city at 12:55 yesterday afternoon, and both the occupants were instantly killed.  The driver, Patrick McGuyire, of 1624 Wood Street, escaped without injury.

Mr. Kane and his wife left their home yesterday morning to attend the funeral of Mrs. Mary Carey, of 1009 McKean Street, a life-long friend of theirs.  The burial took place at the Holy Cross Cemetery, and the other carriages to the number of about forty left the cemetery before the one occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Kane.  To catch up with the cortège McGuire, the driver, took a short cut down Fifth Street, Darby, Expecting to join the other carriages at the Darby Road.

The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad crosses Fifth Street at grade and an electric bell rings automatically on the approach of trains to warn teams and pedestrians.  Contradictory stories are told as to how the accident happened.  The driver stated that no bell rang as he approached the railroad, and he did not see the train until it struck his carriage.  He was hurled from his seat and landed in the road about 40 feet away, somewhat dazed.  The carriage was smashed to atoms, the horses escaping down the road, drawing the tow front wheels after them.

Mr. Kane was thrown directly in front of the train on the track, and all the cars passed over him mangling him frightfully.  Mrs. Kane was caught by the cowcatcher of the locomotive on which she was carried three-quarters of a mile until the train came to a standstill.  When lifted off she was dead, her skull being crushed.  Undertaker James, of Darby, took charge of both bodies until the inquest, which will be held to-day by Coroner Crumtie.  McGuire, after the horses had been caught and stabled, came back to the city, and was confined to his bed last night suffering from shock.

Thomas Tynan, a brother of Mrs. Kane, who boarded with the family, and Thomas Malloy, a friend, living at 1918 Wood Street, went to Darby last evening to arrange for the delivery of the bodies to Undertaker McGinness of this city, who will bury them.  On their return, Mr. Malloy said he met some men, who are employed by the Darby Coal Company, who witnessed the accident.  They stated to Mr. Malloy that the bell was ringing on the approach of the train, and as they saw it coming, they called to McGuire to stop, but he did not heed them.

Frank Atus, a colored man, a driver in the employ of the Darby Coal Company who, at the time of the accident, was standing at the coal office door, which is about 160 feet from the crossing at Fifth Street, made the following statement: “I heard the Royal Blue whistle, and as I waited to see it thunder over the crossing a cab passed me, coming from the Holy Cross Cemetery, the horses on a trot.  The electric signal bell at the crossing was ringing, and, seeing the driver paid no attention to it, I shouted to him to stop.  He turned his head towards me, and, instead of pulling up, he whipped his horses and trotted on faster, as I thought, to get over the crossing before the train.”

Mc Guire, who is the owner of the carriage he was driving, is well thought of by the people in the neighborhood of Nineteenth and Wood Streets, and has the reputation of being a careful and temperate man.  He had been driving for the deceased couple for the last twenty years.

Mr. Kane was employed by the Merchants Warehousing Company, at Eighteenth and Market Streets, as a watchman, and had been with them more than twenty years.  He leaves five children, the oldest of which is 18 years, and the youngest 11 years.

Public Ledger – Philadelphia Morning October 29, 1892


While Michael Kane and his wife, of 1913 Wood Street were returning from a funeral at Holy Cross Cemetery, yesterday afternoon, a Baltimore and Ohio Royal Blue Line train struck their carriage, at the Fifth Street crossing, Darby, and Mr. and Mrs. Kane were instantly killed.  Patrick McGuire, the driver, was slightly injured.

      Death Notice – Public Ledger, Monday 10/21/1892

     Kane-Suddenly, on the 28th inst. MICHAEL KANE, aged 44 years:also, his wife, CATHARINE KANE, aged 40 years.

Their relatives and friends of the family, also the Cathedral T. A. B. Society, are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, this (Monday) morning at 10 O’clock, from their late residence, 1913 Wood Street.  Solemn Requiem Mass at the Cathedral.  Interment at Holy Cross Cemetery



Philadelphia Record – October 29, 1892


After a Funeral Michael Kane and His Wife Are Killed by a Train.


The Husband Was Tossed 40 feet and Had His Brains Dashed Out Against a Telegraph Pole – Couldn’t Make The Crossing.

A terrible accident at the Fifth street crossing of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at Darby yesterday, about 12.30 PM resulted in the instant death of Michael Kane, aged 45, and his wife, of No 1913 Wood street, this city. The former was tossed 40 feet and brained by a telegraph pole, while Mrs. Kane was killed and caught on the engine pilot.

Mr. and Mrs. Kane were returning from the funeral of Mrs. Mary Carey, of No 1009 McKean street, at Holy Cross Cemetery and arrived at the Fifth street crossing just as the signal bell was announcing the approach of train No. 512 – the “Royal Blue” – due in Philadelphia at 12.35.

Patrick Maguire, of No. 1624 Wood street, the driver of the carriage, though warned by some coal hands near by, thought he could cross the tracks before the train, and whipped up his horses But he was just a moment too late. The horses got across, but the body of the carriage was struck and smashed to splinters.

Kane was hurled to the side of the road against a telegraph pole 40 feet from the crossing. His brains were dashed out and one leg was cut off.

When the train was brought to a stop, three-quarters of a mile further on, Mrs. Kane’s body was found on the pilot of the engine. Her legs were picked up along the track.

Patrick Maguire, the driver and owner of the carriage, was thrown forward across the tracks when the crash occurred, but escaped with a few bruises. The horses ran off with the front wheels.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Kane saw the train approaching and tried by failed to get out of the carriage. they leave five children whose ages range from 20 years to 11 years.

The remains were taken to Undertaker James’, where Coroner Crumbie will hold an inquest. Kane had been a watchman for the Pennsylvania Warehouse Company for 21 years.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s